The DKW MUNGA was built by Auto Union in Ingolstadt between 1956 and 1968 about 46,750 times in different versions.
The abbreviation MUNGA stands for Mehrzweck Universal Geländewagen mit Allradantrieb (multipurpose universal off-road vehicle with all-wheel drive).
The 3-cylinder 2-stroke engine was delivered as a tub or bucket structure with 4 seats and as a flatbed structure with 6 or 8 seats.
The main customer was the German Bundeswehr with around 34,000 vehicles, but the MUNGA was also used by aid organizations such as DRK, fire department, police and THW.
A small number of the vehicles found private buyers as well as users in agriculture and forestry. About 6,750 units (also with right-hand drive) were exported abroad.
The DKW MUNGA has a top speed of 98 km / h. The lowest continuous speed is 3 km / h. The vehicle has 10 gears (8 forward, 2 reverse) and permanent all-wheel drive with a countershaft. The climbing ability is up to 70%. The fording depth is approx. 50 cm.
In addition to its successor, the VW Iltis, the Ford MUTT M151 also took up the ideas of the MUNGA. It was mainly admired because of its independent suspension and because it was compact and easy to maintain.
You can find spare parts in our category >> DKW MUNGA